Declaration About Cycling
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary to make a statement of belief and faith in matters of import, a decent respect for the history of cycling requires us to declare ourselves.
We Hold These Truths to Be Self Evident.
- The bicycle changes lives.
- The bicycle is an instrument of exaltation in life.
- A bicycle ride lifts the spirit, emancipates the soul and cures many ills.
Furthermore, we believe:
- Cycling is a healthy and worthy pursuit with much to recommend it.
- Cycling is a point of view, a perception and an attitude towards life.
- Cycling elevates, and elevation is heroic.
- Cycling uphill is glorious. And doing so repeatedly or for extended periods is heavenly.
- An invasion of armies can be resisted, but the allure of roads that tilt up cannot be.
- Climbing is a forge.
- The best ride is one where you bite off more than you can chew, but you endure, persevere and revel in what you accomplished.
- There is beauty in fatigue.
- All effort is good effort, and success is achieved by daring greatly.
And in matters pertinent to ourselves, we hold:
We, therefore, Celebrants of the tradition, lore and culture of cycling, in congress with history and the Golden Age of cycling, appealing to the Supreme judge of the world for the rectitude of our intention, do, in the Name of Ottavio Severo, solemnly publish and declare that we desire:
To create a compelling and distinctive event that is embraced by the community of Colorado Springs, contributes positively to the identity and culture of the city, emphasizes value and win-win collaboration, tells a grand story and doesn't take itself too seriously.
That is our Vision.
And for the support of this Vision and Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we pledge our Time, our Effort and our sacred FORZA to this ELEVATION CELEBRATION and FESTIVAL OF NEVER-ENDING ASCENDING as long as it is Fun.
A Colorado Springs Original
First conceived and ridden in 2016, the 719 Ride aspires to be a bicycle event that contributes to the culture and community of Colorado Springs. FORZA Colorado Springs!
The 719 Ride is a Colorado Springs Original riding in the draft of many great and long-established Colorado cycling events. It hopes to become a positive part of the Colorado Springs tradition and identity while helping set the pace for cycling in the Rocky Mountain region.