FREE Structured Cycling Training Plans
Go Faster and Go Farther with a Structured Training Plan
Structured training plans transform dreams and desire into reality. They optimize your time and effort and convert them into fitness and performance. They make cycling goals happen and all your dreams come true.
If you're a new cyclist or first time participant of the 719 Ride who wants to feel confident and comfortable about all the elevation gain you’ll have to stomach on The Course That Cannot Be Defeated, a structured cycling training plan will prepare you for the glory you seek.
And if you’re a past participant of the 719 Ride who wants to go faster or go farther, a structured cycling plan is your huckleberry too.
Turn uncertainty to confidence by training with purpose.
Make hard easier by redefining hard.
"What is training but making pain seem routine? You work the body, yes, but the real point of training is to accustom the mind to endure discomfort: to know it, recognise it, lose your fear of it, tolerate it and even, finally, to learn to like it."
— Matt Seaton, author of On Your Bike! The Complete Guide to Cycling
719 Ride Base Training Plan
This plan is ideal for a first dip into structured training, getting back into cycling shape and establishing a fitness base to build upon. It will provide the initial ingredients needed to improve your endurance, strength, power, and event day satisfaction.
The workouts aren't designed to be overly intense. They offer a healthy initial mix to prepare you for more advanced training and loads.
The training sessions in the 719 Ride base plan focus on:
- Fast pedaling activities and cadence work to develop more efficient pedaling mechanics.
- Aerobic endurance work to increase muscle fiber size and strength, heart stroke volume and fat burning.
- Faster aerobic tempo work to get your muscles to deliver more power for longer durations.
- Forceful muscle tension work to develop the cycling specific strength necessary to deliver big power quickly.
Doing the workouts outside on the road is possible, but for the best results and best use of your time, complete them indoors on your turbo trainer and cast aside any worries about traffic, lights, weather, fading daylight and the absence of the "perfect" terrain.
Enter your email to receive a promo code to download the 719 Ride Base Training Plan for FREE.
719 Ride Build Training Plan
The training sessions in the 719 Ride build plan focus on:
- Tempo work to build strength with a relatively low fatigue cost, recruit muscle fibers generally not used during endurance work, and get your muscles to deliver more power for longer durations.
- Under-Over threshold work to simulate terrain changes and increase your ability to ride above your Functional Threshold Power (FTP) or close to it.
- Base aerobic endurance work to increase muscle fiber size and strength, heart stroke volume and fat burning.
The workouts are power-based and best executed on a smart trainer or on a bike with a power meter. If you have a traditional trainer set up with Zwift, the power calculation will work.
Enter your email to receive a promo code to download the 719 Ride Build Training Plan for FREE.
719 Ride Climbing Training Plan
This climbing training plan expands upon the fitness and strength developed in the base and build plans. It will deliver you to The Course That Cannot Be Defeated in July with the ferocity to go faster and farther.
The training sessions in the 719 Ride climbing plan focus on:
- VO2 max effforts to build training stress through high workloads for extended periods.
- Under-Over threshold work to simulate the terrain changes coming your way in July.
- Base aerobic endurance to maintain the foundational endurance you achieved with the previous plans.
The workouts in the climbing training plan are power-based, but if you don't have a power meter on your indoor setup or for your outdoor adventures, instructions exist within the plan to change workouts to heart rate based prescriptions.
The plan also includes suggestions to shorten and lengthen workouts and shift or substitute days based on how you're feeling.
Enter your email to receive a promo code to download the 719 Ride Climbing Training Plan for FREE.
About The Creator of Your Training Plans
Daniel Matheny provides custom cycling training plans and performance services for cyclists of ALL skills, experience and aspiration.
From the elite level athlete to the person questioning whether he or she is an athlete at all, Daniel elevates all his clients to new heights of accomplishment. He's like the 719 Ride of cycling coaches.
For Additional Cycling Training Fun Tackle the 719 Ride in Zwift
Take the 719 Ride to Zwift
Mimic the effort levels and climb durations needed to complete a lap of The Course That Cannot Be Defeated in 45, 60, 75 or 90 minutes, while in your favorite Zwift virtual world.
Each Zwift workout is available with and without commentary from the fictional inspiration of the 719 Ride, Ottavio Severo.